In collaboration with Isaac Avery (Instagram @acooks_confession) we are bringing you this tasty cast iron apple pie recipe.
2-1/2 Cups all purpose flour
1-1/4 Teaspoons sea salt
10 Ounces Butter, cubed ice cold
4 Tablespoons ice water
2 Pounds pink lady apples, sliced 1/4 inch
2 Pounds gala apples, sliced 1/4 inch
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1-1/2 Teaspoons nutmeg
1 Teaspoon allspice
2 Tablespoons Brown sugar
Brown Sugar “Roux“
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons butter
1 Egg yolk
1 Tablespoon water
- Place Food Processor or Bowl into freezer, you want this as cold as possible.
- Cut butter into 1/2 inch cubes, place in freezer.
- Once food processor is cold add flour and butter and mix until butter is the size of peas, adding water in slow stream, until dough resembles wet sand.
- Place dough on counter and work into smooth ball.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and sore in refrigerator.
- Peel the skin off the apples and slice into 1/2 inch slices.
- Add sliced apples too a bowl, season with spices and sugar.
- Place in the fridge while rolling out pie dough.
- Pre heat oven to 425˚ F.
- Add brown sugar and butter to No 10 Skillet, and cook until the sugar dissolves and slightly bubbling.
- Cut Pie dough in half and start to roll into a 12 inch round disk, turning the dough a quarter turn with every roll.
- Place pie crust into the bottom of No. 10 skillet working it up the sides pressing out any bubbles and prick the crust to allow steam to escape.
- Place apple filling to the center, flattening out to the edges.
- Place second crust over top of the filing and crimp the edges shut.
- Cut four slits into the top on the pie crust to let steam escape.
- Brush the top of the pie crust with egg wash.
- Bake for 30 minutes in oven.