In collaboration with Isaac Avery (Instagram @acooks_confession) we are bringing you this super easy and tasty cast iron recipe.
1 Cornish Game Hen
1 Cup sea salt
1 Cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoons coriander
1 Tablespoons black pepper
1 Tablespoons fennel seed
1 Tablespoons dried oregano
2 Teaspoons caraway seed
2 Teaspoons juniper berries
2 Lemons, zested
1/4 Pound marble potatoes
- Pre Heat No. 10 Cast Iron Skillet over medium heat, add coriander, black pepper, fennel, caraway, juniper berries and toast until fragrant. Place into a Mortar and Pestle and smash seeds into a coarse powder. Combine with Salt, Brown Sugar, Dried Oregano, and Lemon zest.
- Pat Cornish Hen dry and season liberally with dry brine over a sheet pan with a rack ( juices will come out of the hen because of the dry brine).
- Dry brine Cornish Hen for 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, rough chop Fennel, Carrots , Marble Potatoes, and Fennel stalk.
- Pre Heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Truss Cornish Hen with butchers twine.
- Season vegetables with olive oil, salt, and pepper and mix well, place into No. 10 skillet and place Cornish on top of vegetables.
- Roast in oven for 15 minutes to brown, turn oven down to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and roast for 15 minutes or until internal temp is 160 degrees.
- Cover with tin foil and let Cornish Hen rest for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with Fennel fronds and Carrot tops.
- Season vegetables with lemon juice.
- Carve Hen into pieces or eat with your hands.