The Perfect Cast Iron Steak
2 (1 lb.) boneless strip steaks, 1-1/2" thick, trimmed
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 Tablespoons minced shallots
1 Tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 Tablespoon minced fresh chives
1 Garlic clove, minced
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Cover entire surface of steaks with salt. Let steaks sit at room temp. for up to 1 hour.
2. Place skillet on middle oven rack and heat oven to 500°F.
3. Combine softened butter, shallot, parsley, chives, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in bowl, set aside
4. When oven reaches 500°F, pat steaks dry with paper towel and season with pepper.
5. Remove skillet from oven and place over medium-high heat.
6. Add oil to skillet and heat until just smoking
7. Add steaks and cook, without moving them, for 2 minutes. Flip steaks and cook for another 2 minutes.
8. Flip steaks, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, flipping every 2 minutes until steaks are well browned and meat registers 120 to 125°F (for medium-rare). Takes about 7-9 minutes.
9. Transfer steaks to cutting board, drop 2 tablespoons herb butter on each steak, cover with aluminum foil, and let rest for up to 10 minutes.
1. Slice steaks 1/2" thick and serve.